My local pizzeria has this as a pizza on their menu. I only buy it every once in a while though, because I'm generally inclined to eat the whole thing in one sitting… ;)
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry
- 1 small head of peeled garlic cloves (optional)
- 3 heaping tablespoons basil pesto, homemade or store bought
- 1 scant cup cooked, diced chicken breast
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Remove one sheet of puff pastry from the freezer and allow to thaw at room temperature for 30 minutes. If using garlic, place cloves on a baking sheet and cook in the oven until soft and light golden brown, 10-15 minutes. Allow the cloves to cool and then chop finely.
- Unfold the puff pastry onto a parchment-lined baking sheet, pressing and pinching to close any holes in the seams. Using a fork, prick the dough all over—including the edges—to prevent it from puffing during baking.
- Brush the pesto in a thin layer over the dough. Scatter the roasted garlic across the pesto. Toss the chicken with a tablespoon of olive oil and a generous sprinkling of salt and pepper. Layer the chicken on the tart, followed by the mozzarella and the Parmesan. Season with kosher salt and pepper.
- Bake until the the cheese is melted and light golden brown, approximately 15-25 minutes (start checking early). Remove the tart from the baking sheet and let cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Cut into squares and serve immediately.
- Note: You can easily sub pizza or flat bread dough in this recipe, or any other bread base you can think of. Also, I scattered some diced tomatoes on one of my slices for some extra color (see last photo); feel free to do the same if you have some ripe ones lying around.