This strata is really easy to make. Put it together the day before, then just remove from the refrigerator and bake. Ham or bacon can be substituted for the sausage. Sometimes I add cooked chopped broccoli for a change of pace,,
Easy Sausage Strata
makes 8 servings
- 1 pound pork sausage
- 6 (1 ounce) slices bread, cubed
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground dry mustard
- Place sausage in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until evenly brown. Drain, and set aside.
- Layer bread cubes, sausage, and Cheddar cheese in a lightly greased 7x11 inch baking dish. In a bowl, beat together the eggs, milk, salt, and mustard. Pour the egg mixture over the bread cube mixture. Cover, and refrigerate at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove the casserole from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Bake 50 to 60 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.