I�m sure most of you have had some version of this salad before. My family has been serving this at our gatherings for literally as long as I can remember. When I was planning the menu for Andrew�s second birthday party earlier this month, I wanted dishes that I could make ahead of time so I wouldn�t be crazy-busy the morning of the party. This salad fit the bill perfectly; it�s the kind of thing that needs a day for all the flavors to soak in.
Our guests loved this. My dad is a strong supporter of the broccoli salad he buys from the salad bar at his favorite supermarket, but even he said that this was the best version he�s ever had. It�s got a sharp bite from the onions, a tangy sweetness from the dressing, and an irresistible saltiness from the bacon.
- 2 heads fresh broccoli (not frozen)
- 1/2 cup red onion, chopped
- 1/2 pound bacon
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese (Don�t buy the pre-grated stuff for this; buy a block and grate it yourself. The texture is much better.)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup sugar
- Chop bacon into bite-sized pieces and cook to desired crispness. Drain on paper towels.
- Chop broccoli florets into bite-size pieces. Combine broccoli, bacon, onions and cheddar cheese in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl combine vinegar, sugar and mayonnaise. Pour over broccoli mixture and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate until serving (it�s best when made a day ahead).